Our Social and Environmental Promise
Taking Care of People and the Planet
COTA is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination. We also grant equal program and service access to all people. In addition, we work hard to ensure that our mission of “excellence in serving our stakeholders – customers, employees and taxpayers. We will deliver quality transportation services and conduct business courteously, safely, ethically and reliably.”
Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 provides that “no person in the United States shall, on the ground of race, color, or national origin, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.” (42 U.S.C. Section 2000d)
The Federal Transit Administration’s provides guidance on the Executive Order on Federal Actions to Address Environmental Justice in Minority Populations and Low-Income Populations (1994), referred to as Environmental Justice (EJ). This order requires transit providers to incorporate environmental justice and non-discrimination principles into their transportation planning and decision making processes, as well as environmental review for specified initiatives.
With respect to Title VI, COTA’s objective is to:
- Ensure that the level and quality of transportation service is provided without regard to race, color, or national origin.
- Identify and address, as appropriate, disproportionately high and adverse human health and environmental effects, including social and economic effects of programs and activities on minority populations and low-income populations.
- Promote the fair participation of all affected populations in transportation decision making.
- Prevent the denial, reduction, or delay in benefits related to programs and activities that benefit minority populations or low-income populations.
- Ensure meaningful access to programs and activities by persons with limited English proficiency.
All managers, supervisors and employees share in the responsibility for making COTA’s Title VI Program a success. Any complaints can be filed through COTA’s complaint/commendation telephone line at 614-228-1776 or via our comment form.
- Environmental Justice Policy Guidance For Federal Transit Administration Recipients
- Title VI Complaint Form (Translation available upon request)
- Title VI and Environmental Justice Resolution
Rider Guides in Other Languages
If you believe that a modification to COTA policies or procedures is in the best interest of ensuring our system is accessible to you, and it can be reasonably made, we will make every effort to accommodate your request. To request a reasonable modification to COTA’s policies or procedures, please call us at 614-228-1776 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.