Fourth COTA Employee Tests Positive for Coronavirus
COLUMBUS, Ohio — COTA has been informed that a fourth employee, a transit vehicle operator, has tested positive for COVID-19. The operator last drove a transit vehicle April 29, practicing social distancing and wearing a protective facial mask. The individual has been asymptomatic and was tested because a family member was confirmed to have COVID-19. COTA is fully supporting this individual and hoping for a successful recovery. Of the first three COTA employees who have tested positive for coronavirus, two have returned to work after successful recoveries and the third remains in recovery.
Since early March, COTA has taken multiple steps to combat the spread of the coronavirus:
- April 27 – COTA made changes to essential service to ease demands on frontline employees.
- April 16 – COTA began doubling the cleaning/disinfecting of 118 transit shelters.
- April 15 – COTA began requiring passengers to wear secure personal protection masks covering their faces.
- April 8 – COTA began distributing masks to all COTA employees.
- April 3 – COTA announced its Essential Travel Only Policy, for which buses are to be used by customers only for access to food, health care, travel to and from work, and caring for others.
- April 1 – COTA began mandatory temperature checks for all employees entering COTA facilities.
- March 19 – COTA suspended fares and instructed riders to board buses from the rear doors to keep separated from drivers.
- March 16 – COTA’s initial focused service changes reduced the number of bus routes and consolidated service in some areas.
- March 1 – COTA implemented the Stop the Spread Campaign, which provided tips on how to prevent the spread of infectious disease.
- COTA limits the number of riders on each bus to 20 and continues to ask riders to observe social distancing.
- All buses are sanitized multiple times daily, and COTA also cleans those buses every 12 hours with sanitizing solutions the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have approved.
- All COTA vehicles are equipped with hand sanitizing dispensers, stocked daily and located at the front of the vehicle.