Our Title VI & Environmental Justice Promise
COTA is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination, and grants equal access to programs and services to all people. COTA works hard to ensure our mission of “excellence in serving our stakeholders – customers, employees and taxpayers. We will deliver quality transportation services and conduct business courteously, safely, ethically and reliably.”
Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 provides that “no person in the United States shall, on the ground of race, color, or national origin, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.” (42 U.S.C. Section 2000d)
Furthermore, the Federal Transit Administration’s Guidance regarding the Executive Order on Federal Actions to Address Environmental Justice in Minority Populations and Low-Income Populations (1994), referred to as Environmental Justice (EJ), provides policies requiring transit providers to incorporate environmental justice and non-discrimination principles into transportation planning and decision making processes as well as environmental review for specified initiatives.
With respect to Title VI, COTA’s objective is to:
- Ensure that the level and quality of transportation service is provided without regard to race, color, or national origin.
- Identify and address, as appropriate, disproportionately high and adverse human health and environmental effects, including social and economic effects of programs and activities on minority populations and low-income populations.
- Promote the fair participation of all affected populations in transportation decision making.
- Prevent the denial, reduction, or delay in benefits related to programs and activities that benefit minority populations or low-income populations.
- Ensure meaningful access to programs and activities by persons with limited English proficiency.
Title VI complaints come through the complaint procedures. All managers, supervisors and employees share in the responsibility for making COTA’s Title VI Program a success. All complaints can be filed through COTA’s complaint/commendation telephone line at (614) 228-1776 or click here to fill out a comment form.
- Environmental Justice Policy Guidance For Federal Transit Administration Recipients
- Title VI Complaint Form*
*Translation available upon request
- Title VI and Environmental Justice Resolution